Friday, February 5, 2010

Snow!

So...I didn't actually take these pictures. I've been huddling by various stoves in my apartment building for a number of reasons: for one, cement block construction is many things--versatile, cheap, ubiquitous in the Middle East--but it is not known for its insulation properties. For two, I've already seen 2 major car accidents (in the same place in front of the hospital that my school runs) this week, and I have no desire to put myself in the path of a Lebanese driver (to be fair, a driver of any nationality) with minimal control over their cars.

On a side note, since I've started driving more, I'd like to revisit the idea of Lebanese drivers. I think that you can make an argument that, as a country, Lebanese drivers are the among the worst in the world. There are no discernible traffic laws, no one wears seat belts (even children), people are not afraid to pass even on switchbacks and curve, and a general sense of "If I can get away with it, it must be OK," prevails. On the other hand, you can make an equally compelling argument that Lebanese drivers are the best drivers in the world. Every driver here has to be completely aware of your surroundings from the moment you pull out of your driveway. People have a very good sense of the size of their cars relative to the size of the hole in traffic they are trying to squeeze through. They also have a good sense of what their cars are capable of--especially when it comes to acceleration and deceleration. No passive drivers these, content to rely on traffic laws instead of their own senses. Driving among them, I'm alternately amazed, terrified, and infuriated.

That being said, despite my grudging admiration, I have no interest at all in being anywhere near a snowy or icy road. To tide you over, here are a few pictures (not taken by me) to give you an idea of what it looks like here in the snow--and I promise to get the appropriate cables for my camera soon so that I'll be able to show you my pictures)
SNOWSTORM IN LEBANON!!!


This second picture is a bonus picture, because not only does it show the snow, it also shows Druze traditional dress, for both men and women. (It's harder to find good pictures of this than you might think). Please note, if you can, the mustaches on the gentlemen shoveling snow.

I'm working on a more extensive post on the Druze, but frankly I'm a little trepidatious to submit you to another history post for a little bit.

And, just as I'm wrapping this post up, the sun has decided to come out (just in time to set). It's supposed to snow again on Sunday, but tomorrow at least should be a pretty day.

1 comment:

  1. Pls, another history updated wanted. Do you remember when you told me about Constantine in the Casamance? We sat around the table having dinner on our last night in Zig and you schooled me on religion/history.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog